Dr. Shaun Ghafari
Professor, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering & Technology, FAST
Shahab (Shaun) Ghafari, Ph.D., P.Eng. is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering & Technology at Sheridan College. He earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of Tehran, and received his MASc. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Waterloo, Department of Mechanical Engineering. He is currently the Applied Research Coordinator at Sheridan and as Primary Investigator; Dr. Ghafari oversees several projects, providing innovative solutions for industrial partners. He has received several grants from variety of provincial and federal funding agencies such as NSERC, IRAP, FedDev and OCE. Professor Ghafari has more than 12 years’ industry experience in the automotive and energy sectors. He has significant expertise in machine design and project management, and a successful track record as a result of the more than 40 applied industrial research projects that he has supervised at the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Design Technology (CAMDT) at Sheridan. Dr. Ghafari has designed and implemented a new, multidisciplinary Capstone Design course in Mechanical Engineering Technology with a central focus to provide multidisciplinary student teams with the opportunity to contribute directly to real-life projects using advanced technologies, while collaborating with industry clients. Shaun brings a wealth of industry experience to his teaching. He was the team leader for large motor and generator services with GE Canada, responsible for the engineering and design of motors and generators for oil and gas, mining, and power industries. He has also been chief engineer and project manager in several automotive paint shop development projects. Dr. Ghafari is a level II certified instructor for the Siemens Mechatronic Systems Certification Program (SMSCP), a comprehensive industry certification developed by Siemens technical school in Germany.
His research interests and activities include automation, robotics, vibration analysis, machine design, and finite element analysis. Shaun’s research has been published in international journals and presented at several conferences. Dr. Ghafari’s career in industry as a mechanical engineer and project manager is essential to the successful completion of the applied research projects with industry clients.
Recently awarded proposals:
- Graphite Thermal Management Products Improved, three-year NSERC CU-I2I grant in collaboration with Simon Fraser University, industry partners: Terrella Energy Systems Ltd, Alpha Technologies Ltd., and Westport Innovations Inc.
- Automated polishing system for multi-layer blown film extrusion dies, NSERC Engage, industry partner: Brampton Engineering.
- Feed Flow Conditioner for Flash Smelting Furnace, NSERC Engage, industry partner: Hatch.
- H. Ghafari, E. M. Abdel-Rahman, F. Golnaraghi, F. Ismail, “Effect of Internal Clearance on Vibration of Rolling Element Bearings,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 329 (9).
- H. Ghafari, F. Golnaraghi, F. Ismail, “Effect of Localized Faults on Chaotic Vibration of Rolling Element Bearings,” Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics, Volume 53, Number 4.
- H. Ghafari, F. Golnaraghi, F. Ismail, “Bearing Prognosis Based on Chaotic Indicators, Wavelet index, and Adaptive Neural Network,” International Journal of COMADEM, Volume 11, Number 4.